By Jake Chong
To obtain the Heart Wise Exercise Program designation contact us at Cardiac Health Foundation of Canada - email@example.com or by phone at (416) 730 8299
- The Heart Wise Exercise Program designation offers individuals with cardiovascular disease or at risk a safe place to exercise; work out with like-minded individuals under the supervision of qualified Heart Wise Exercise Program leaders.
- Increases the availability of facilities and programs for individuals with chronic health conditions
- Encourages individuals to exercise regularly to prevent chronic conditions such as coronary heart disease, stroke, chronic kidney disease, diabetes, COPD, and heart disease.
- Does your facility/program/classes/staff meet the required criteria?
Heart Wise Exercise Program Criteria
||The program provides exercise options to help participants choose their appropriate level of intensity
||If there is a competitive nature to the activity, does it enable participants to be exercising at an appropriate level?
||Instructor(s) current in CPR?
||Encourages participants to do daily physical activity, including outside of the class setting
||Teaches clients how to monitor themselves (i.e. intensity) using RPE and other methods
||Incorporates a gradual and progressive warm up and a gradual cool down
||Reads screening tools, identifies and monitors Heart Wise Exercise Program clients
||There is an emergency plan that is documented and known to all exercise leaders
||Site has phone access to Emergency Medical Services
||AED is available, accessible at all times during Heart Wise Exercise Program classes and staff are trained in its use
||Screening tools are provided to the client before or on the first day of the program (for registered programs or memberships)
||Heart Wise promotional material will be posted at program/ facility
||At least one member of the staff has attended a Heart Wise Exercise Program Workshop provided by a Program partner
||Additional instructor training will be requested as required
- Cardiac and cardiopulmonary exercise tests
- Current interventions offered to cardiovascular clients
- Exercise prescription for cardiovascular and chronic disease (e.g. diabetes, osteoporosis, etc)
- Recognize and address the needs of the cardiovascular population
- Learn about the Heart Wise Exercise program and cardiovascular prevention programs in the community and across the country
Heart Wise Designation Steps:
- Participate in a short training workshop (training sessions TBA on website or to be arranged with the Heart Wise Exercise director)
- Apply to join the Heart Wise Exercise Program Network and display the logo at you facility, on your literature, for certain programs, and your personal resume.
- Complete an agreement with the Cardiac Health Foundation of Canada and the person responsible for the facility or program.
- Be listed on Cardiac Health Foundation of Canada website and on the Heart Wise Website.
- Annual Evaluation and re-qualification
Collaborative partners include; The Cardiac Health Foundation of Canada; University of Ottawa Heart Institute; Toronto Rehab Institute Cardiac Rehabilitation & Secondary Prevention Program (UHN); Toronto Emergency Medical Services (EMS); the YMCA’s of GTA; and The Mikey Network.
Barbara Kennedy - Executive Director of Cardiac Health Foundation of Canada
Paul Sawyer - Director of GTA Heart Wise Exercise Program
- Member of Cardiac Health Foundation of Canada Board
For more information about obtaining a Heart Wise Exercise Program designation visit us at Cardiac Health Foundation of Canada www.cardiachealth.ca. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (416) 730 8299